Guide for Startups
This guide is designed to help startups get up to speed in preparation for pitch events using the Pre app!
With this guide we’re going to walk you through
1. Applying to an event
2. Setting up your account
3. Making most of Pre at the event
4. Using Pre after the event
First Things First
Download the Pre app from your mobile device’s app store. If you need to register a new account, be sure to select Startup in the account type. Launch the app and sign in.
1. Applying to your Event
To pitch at an event that is using Pre, you will need to confirm your participation. Depending on the approach taken by the Host of the event, there are 2 ways to do this:
A] Using the confirmation link received in the email
(1) If you have never used Pre before and the Host adds your email to an event, you will receive an email with a confirmation link. By clicking on the link, your participation is confirmed and your email gets verified, which automatically creates an account for you on Pre. You will then be taken to a page to set up a password for your account. Once you have set the password, you can log into the app with the email and password credentials that you have set. If you skip the initial step of setting the password, you can later reset your password from the Sign In screen when download the Pre app, .
(2) If you already have an account on Pre and the Host adds your email to an event, you will receive an authorization email. Clicking on YES in that email will authorize your participation in the event.
B] Using the 6-digit Startup Code
You should have received an email with a 6-digit Startup Code and instructions to confirm your participation. The Startup Code is how you confirm your application to be in the event. On signing into Pre, you will land on the Home page. From here, tap the Join button and type in the 6-digit code in the text box.
After submitting your Startup Code, you will receive a prompt on the screen: “Thank you! Your application to pitch at the event has been submitted!” This completes your part in the application process.
If you haven't received a confirmation code or the confirmation link, reach out to your event host to be sure they have your correct email.
If you are applying for an event by using the 6-digit code that was posted on a website or other source, submitting the code acts as your request to participate.
2. Customizing your Account
You can customize your startup's profile on Pre to better inform and engage with the audience. To go to your profile, from the Dashboard screen, tap the Profile Icon in the bottom-bar right corner. To edit your profile, tap the Edit Profile button.
- Profile picture: Your logo or professional portrait
- Cover Photo: An image that showcases your brand, product, or location
- Social media links: A way for the pitch event audience to continue to follow you during and after the event.
3. Using Pre at the Event
You’ve registered for the event and customized your account. Now it’s time to pitch! To make the most of your participation at the event,
A. Join the Event on Pre
On your Dashboard, tap the Join button and enter the 4-digit Event Code when prompted. It would be the same code that the audience would be using. This will set you up to receive messages from the audience. Check your messages screen occasionally for any new messages you may have received.
B. Actively seek feedback
At events that use Pre, you have the opportunity to receive feedback from everyone in the audience who are using Pre. At the end of your presentation, remind the audience to send direct messages to you with their questions and suggestions as well rate your pitch. This simple method is an effective way to garner engagement and valuable feedback.
C. Respond to messages
After your presentation, do reply at your earliest to the messages received. This could lead to a conversation in person while still at the event. These conversations are an opportunity for you to build and grow your community that is interested in your venture.
4. Using Pre after your Event
Pre changes the pitch event experience by optimizing the value for all participants. The Pre App’s investment system builds connections between startups and new audiences, providing valuable information for future pitch competitions and helping ventures grow their communities of supporters and stakeholders.
To view results of past events that you participated in, tap on Results button on your Dashboard and select the desired event from the list. Results showcases top results - the Leaderboards.
- The Startups tab showcases the primary Startup Leaderboard, displaying the top 3 startups that raised the most preMoney from the event. It also displays the startup's market share of overall preInvestments
- The preInvestors tab showcases how the audience fared during the event. It ranks the audience based on their Return on Investment which is a function of the performance of the startups they invested in.
- The Ratings tab displays the top three startups on each rating criteria as determined by the audience on a scale of 1-5.
This archived information can give you insight into not only your performance, but also into the greater context of the pitch event itself.
When people in the audience invest preMoney in your startup, they become your preInvestors on Pre and get added to your community list. Our latest feature - Updates - is a great way to let your preInvestors know what you are up to. Whenever you post an update, they’ll be automatically notified in the app! They might be interested in knowing your progress.
To take advantage of your newfound audience, from the Dashboard, tap the Message icon on the bottom bar. Navigate to the Updates tab, then tap the “Update your community” button!
Using the Update feature, you can continue to engage the enthusiasm of your audience, even long after the pitch event is over.
That is how you use the Pre app as a startup! Pre helps make your pitch experience even more valuable, engaging, and rewarding. For further help or details, feel free to contact us.